Structure Fire—2303 West 46th Street
On Thursday evening, August 31, 2017, at approximately 8 p.m., Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded to an apartment fire at 2303 West 46th Street.
Fire companies arrived to find residents advising there was a fire on the second floor. Fire companies found and extinguished the fire within approximately ten minutes after arrival. Evacuation efforts throughout the apartment building ensued. Several hours were spent ventilating the structure, conducting investigation, and completing tasks to ensure no further fire extension.
The apartment was occupied at the time of the fire. Some residents were displaced as a result of fire, smoke, and water damage. There were no civilian injuries and no firefighters were injured during the incident. The cause of the fire was determined to be related to cooking.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded with five fire trucks, one mutual aid fire truck from the South Dakota Air National Guard, three support units, and two Fire Chaplains. There were 27 fire personnel on scene. Sioux Falls Fire Rescue was assisted by Paramedics Plus Ambulance, MidAmerican Energy, Xcel Energy, the Red Cross, and the Sioux Falls Police Department.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind residents to never leave cooking unattended and check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for proper functioning.