Around the Clock Snow Removal Efforts Still Under Way, and All Streets Have Now Been Plowed
Snow removal crews have been working around the clock since before this weekend’s blizzard began to keep our city safe. All streets in Zone 2 and Zone 3 are now plowed. Snow pickup operations in Zone 1 (downtown) will begin at 1 a.m. on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. Vehicles parked in Zone 1 will be subject to ticketing and towing between the hours of 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Tuesday, April 17.
Snow removal decisions are made based on public safety as the first and foremost priority. Following are some reminders for property owners regarding this snow event:
- Snow gates could not be used during this snow alert due to the amount of heavy, wet snow the city received. Public Works attempted to use snow gates, but they were not effective and the weight and volume of this snow caused several snow gates to break in the process. Clearing driveways is the responsibility of the property owner.
- Snow pickup operations began this morning on emergency snow routes with curbside sidewalks. Please have patience if driving through an area where snow pickup is taking place and stay four car lengths behind maintenance vehicles so that the drivers can see you.
- It is illegal to pile snow in ADA parking spots or on sidewalk curb ramps. Residents are responsible for providing access from the street onto the sidewalk.
- Residents are required to keep fire hydrants clear of snow and other obstructions for 3 feet in all directions.
- While plows remove as much snow as possible near mailboxes, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure mailboxes are accessible to mail carriers.
- It is illegal to place snow from the driveway or sidewalk onto the street.
If you have questions regarding snow removal, call the Public Works Street Division at 367-8255. For all the information you need about snow removal in Sioux Falls, go to www.siouxfalls.org/snow.