Building Permit Construction Valuation Reaches Nearly $740 Million in 2017
Construction activity continues to break records in Sioux Falls for the fifth year in a row. The construction valuation for building permits issued by Building Services in 2017 reached $739,324,818 for the year. The record for 2016 was $701.9 million, and for 2015, the record was $676.3 million. The total for 2014 was $619.5 million, and the total in 2013 was $588.2 million.
“To put these numbers in perspective, the City of Omaha, NE, has permitted just more than a billion dollars of construction, but of course has a larger population base; and the City of Rochester, MN, has permitted about $525 million. Five consecutive years of record-breaking construction valuations is remarkable and a testament to the continued optimism people in our community have,” says Mike Cooper, Director of Planning and Building Services.
In 2017, the record was also driven in part by the continued strong demand for housing. A total of 750 new single-family homes were permitted in Sioux Falls in 2017, as well as 1,215 multiple family units and 441 townhome units.
Some big projects are already in the process for permitting this year. In 2018, permits will be issued for:
• Finishes at Avera Health’s new campus at 69th Street and Louise Avenue, valued at $55 million
• Silverthorne Apartments, valued at $21 million
• The Cascade at Falls Park project, valued at $20 million
• West 41st Street Commons Apartments, valued at $15 million
• Midco® Tech Ops Building, valued at $4.1 million
• Levitt Shell project, valued at $3.6 million
For all of the building permit statistics for 2017, visit www.siouxfalls.org/permit-stats.