Structure Fire at 3200 South Theodore Avenue
At approximately 9:50 p.m. on Monday, March 12, 2018, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire at 3200 South Theodore Avenue.
The first arriving crew reported a sprinkler activation and found water and heavy smoke coming from Apt. 320 on the third floor. Upon entry, fire personnel conducted a quick primary search of the apartment and found one occupant still inside. The fire crew rescued the occupant from the structure and brought the individual outside to the second arriving fire crew. The injured tenant was quickly loaded into the Paramedics Plus ambulance for transport to the nearest hospital.
Fire crews finished evacuating the building. Fire personnel on scene conducted a primary and secondary search of the entire third floor ensuring all tenants had been safely evacuated from the structure. Additionally, firefighters set up ventilation and conducted overhaul to ensure all the fire was extinguished.
The activated sprinkler system contained the fire to the room of origin. The apartment suffered heavy water and moderate smoke damage. The third floor of the apartment complex sustained light smoke damage with water damage limited to approximately six apartments (two apartments per floor).
Crews remained on scene for an additional three hours to complete overhaul and ensure ventilation operations were successful at removing the smoke from the first, second, and third floors.
There was one civilian injury at this incident. There were no firefighter injuries reported. Fire Inspector Mike Schmidt is working with ATF on the fire cause and determination.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded with four fire trucks, three support vehicles, and 20 firefighters. The apartment building did have a sprinkler system. The sprinkler system minimalized the fire damage and prevented the fire from spreading beyond the room of origin. Sioux Falls Fire Rescue was assisted on scene by Sioux Falls Police Department, Sioux Area Metro (SAM Bus), Paramedics Plus ambulance, and Red Cross.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind residents to test their smoke detectors monthly, check the detector’s expiration date, and change the batteries when you change your clocks. For more information from Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, visit www.siouxfalls.org/fire or follow us on facebook.com/siouxfallsfire or twitter.com/siouxfallsfire.