McKennan Sunken Garden and Arbor
McKennan Park Sunken Garden and Arbor Information and Rules
- All activities associated with a reservation MUST take place within the time block reserved. This includes any prewedding activities such as chair delivery, setup, decorating, photographs, etc., and any teardown/cleanup.
- Park closing time of 10 p.m. must be observed. Event must be over and participants must be out of the park by 10 p.m. regardless of starting time.
- No alcohol is allowed in McKennan Park by City ordinance.
- If your event uses amplified sound with a duration of more than one hour, you must contact the Health Department at 605-367-8760 about a permit, per Section 93.007 of the Code of Ordinances.
- Electrical outlets (110-volt/20-amp) are available in the sunken garden area. You must request electrical power for your event.
- No vehicles are allowed on grass or sidewalks without a permit. Please call the Park Office at 605-367-8222 to request a vehicle permit.
- Canopies are only allowed in a designated area adjacent to the Gardens. If a canopy will be used in the designated area, a permit must be obtained. Please call the Park Office at 605-367-8222 to request a canopy permit.
- The McKennan Sunken Garden and Arbor areas do not have benches for seating, but chairs are allowed. You may bring your own chairs or you may rent them from area vendors. Chairs cannot be delivered the day before your event and left overnight in the park—they must be delivered and set up within the time block reserved. No chairs may be placed in flower or plant beds. Chairs must be removed immediately after your event within the time block reserved.
- Garlands or decorations used in the arbor can be tied or wired in place. Nothing may be stapled or tacked to the arbor.
- Flowers planted at wedding locations will be maintained from mid-May through mid-October, weather permitting.
- Parking is available for about 20 vehicles in the McKennan Park parking lot. Some parking is also available on the street.
- Users are requested to clean up litter. Please place trash in the containers provided.
- The reserving party will be held responsible for any damages caused by activities during the time the party has access to the property.
Thank you for following these rules during your event.
For further information, please call the Park Office at 605-367-8222.