Did you know that our library builds its collections and programs to meet the diverse needs of our community? Check out these cool facts on how Siouxland Libraries can help meet your healthy living needs:
- Over 500 books, movies and magazines on exercise!
- Instant access to digital magazines, eBooks and audio books with topics on healthy eating, exercise and more!
- Annual Yoga Day for all to enjoy the many health benefits of yoga!
Join us and libraries nationwide to celebrate the value of lifelong learning, education, and recreation in our communities. Check out these special events @ Siouxland Libraries that promote living well, nutrition, and exercise, and show how your library can play a role in making healthy lifestyle choices.
Get education @ your library
Healthy Eating on Budget
- Get free onsite training from HyVee dietician Cathy Jo Tooley for making money-smart and health-smart purchases at the grocery store.
- Monday, April 15, 7 p.m. @ HyVee at 26th and Marion
Quick and Easy: Health and Nutrition
- Making healthy choices doesn’t have to be hard! Learn simple changes you can make to your daily routine to stay on track with nutrition and fitness. Jointly presented through a partnership between the Live Well Sioux Falls Initiative and Siouxland Libraries.
- Thursday, April 18, 12-1 p.m. @ Main Library
Get life-long learning @ your library
Film and Discussion: Weight of the Nation
Finding Health Information Online
- Learn about online resources at the library, and some free websites for adults and kids, that provide reliable health and nutrition information.
- Wednesday, April 17, 12-1 p.m. @ Main Library
Life Book club: Heft
- Meet other bibliophiles at Zandbroz Variety for a discussion of Liz Moore’s book, Heft. Moore’s heartwarming book discusses the potential that community has to transform seemingly dissimilar lives and situations into positive change.
- Thursday, April 18, 6:30 p.m. @ Zandbroz Variety, 209 South Phillips Avenue
Get recreation @ your library
Afterschool Program: Make a Mini-Greenhouse
- Make and decorate your own mini-greenhouse out of 2 paper plates and a ziploc bag. Start a bean, pumpkin or sunflower sprout using a moistened cottonball. A garden-themed book will also be shared.
- Wednesday, April 17, 4 p.m. @ Crooks Library
Barnes & Noble Book Fair
- April 20-24 at www.bn.com. In early April, contact the library for a Book Fair ID to use for purchases online.
- Saturday, April 20, 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. @ Barnes & Noble store, 3700 West 41st Street
- 10:30 a.m. -- Cookie Mouse Storytime & Craft
- 11:00 a.m. -- Have your camera ready and take a picture with Cookie Mouse
- 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. -- Teen Book Spine Poetry Contest
- While you’re at Barnes & Noble, stop and visit Siouxland Libraries staff for tips on downloading library eBooks from Overdrive & magazines from Zinio. When you purchase items that day, tell Barnes & Noble staff you’d like to help support Siouxland Libraries’ Book Fair.
- Library staff will present stories and other activities with a healthy eating theme including books on gardening and vegetables, a prelude to the 2013 Summer Reading Club theme “Dig into Reading.”
- Complete list of storytimes