2019 One Book Siouxland Announced
Siouxland Libraries has announced the selection of its second-annual One Book Siouxland selection, Caroline Fraser’s Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
The well-researched and engaging biography won the enthusiastic recommendation of the local selection committee―and the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Critics Circle Award committees, both of which named it 2018’s outstanding biography.
The New York Times Book Review lists it among its 10 Best Books of 2018: “Little House devotees will appreciate the extraordinary care and energy Fraser brings to uncovering the details of a life that has been expertly veiled by myth.”
“Perhaps most valuable,” the Times continues, “Prairie Fires demonstrates a style of exploration and deliberation that offers a welcome point of orientation for all Americans dismayed by the embattled state of truth in these days of polarization.”
And while a host of related events will broaden and deepen an appreciation of reading and bring together friends, families, and neighbors to share their experiences, a highlight of the 2019 One Book Siouxland will be the Saturday, April 27, 2019 Sioux Falls appearance of author Caroline Fraser.
Copies of the book are available at all Siouxland Libraries locations. Call any branch or visit www.siouxlandlib.org to reserve a copy.
The following are among 2019 One Book Siouxland activities and events:
- Display―Weathering the Storm: Nature’s Impact on South Dakota, Friday, April 5, 2019 to Sunday, May 6, 2019, Downtown Library, 200 North Dakota Avenue, 367-8700
- Pioneer Day: Crafts and games for children, Saturday, April 6, 2019, 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon, Prairie West Branch, 7630 West 26th Street, 978-6899
- Music by Bill Peterson’s string band, featuring pioneer music, Saturday, April 6, 2019, 12 noon to 1 p.m., Prairie West Branch, 7630 West 26th Street, 978-6899
- South Dakota’s Quilting Heritage, presentation by Mary Reecy Fitzgerald, Sunday, April 7, 2019, Downtown 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Downtown Library, 200 North Dakota Avenue, 367-8700
- Learn from the Dust Bowl in South Dakota, panel discussion with weather, agriculture, and soil experts, Saturday, April 13, 2019, 10 to 11 a.m., Downtown Library, 200 North Dakota Avenue, 367-8700
- Getting to Know the Real Laura Ingalls Wilder with Laura impersonator, Sarah Uthoff. Sponsored by the South Dakota Humanities Council, Sunday, April 14, 2019, time to be announced, Downtown Library, 200 North Dakota Avenue, 367-8700
- Cook the Book: Choose a recipe to prepare and share from a Laura Ingalls Wilder-inspired cookbook, Tuesday, April 23, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Hartford Branch, 119 North Main, Suite A, Hartford, SD.
- Art Program for Children with Native American artist Donald Montileaux, Thursday, April 25, 2019, 4 to 5:30 p.m., Downtown Library, 200 North Dakota Avenue, 367-8700
Information about book discussions will be released at a later date.
All One Book Siouxland programs and events are free and open to the public.
If an ADA accommodation is needed, please contact the Human Relations Office at 605‑367‑8745 (voice), 605-367-7039 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours before the event.
For more information, please call Siouxland Libraries Downtown Library at 367-8700 or visit www.siouxlandlib.org.