2019 3rd Qtr
Citizen Complaints against Officers
2019 3rd Quarter
All citizen complaints against officers are documented and investigated by the department’s supervisors. Once the investigation is complete, it is reviewed by the Section Commander, Division Commander and then forwarded to the Office of the Chief where the decision is made as to the finding of the complaint. Complaints questioning the basis for a citation or arrest are not documented and those complainants are advised to go through the court system.
There are four different categories of complaint findings:
- Sustained - The investigation produced a preponderance of evidence to prove the allegation did in fact occur and the action of the officer was improper.
- Not Sustained - The investigation failed to produce a preponderance of evidence to either prove or disprove the allegation.
- Exonerated - The allegation in fact did occur but the actions of the officer were legal, justified, proper, and in accordance with the law and the department’s policies and procedures.
- Unfounded - The allegation in fact did not occur, based on the evidence.
During this quarter, there were eleven citizen’s complaints against officers. One of the complaint summaries below contains three different complaints. The findings for these complaints are as follows:
- On 7-5-2019, a citizen complained that the officer who responded to her residence had “an attitude” and cited her roommate improperly.The complaint was investigated and the complaint of attitude was not sustained.
- On 7-8-2019, a citizen complained that the officer who responded to her call was rude and arrogant.The complaint was investigated, to include the audio/video from the officer’s vehicle and the complaint was not sustained.
- On 7-18-2019 a citizen complained that a Detective had made comments to her that were intimidating before court.An investigation was conducted and the citizen admitted during the follow up that the Detective was doing their job and did not say anything inappropriate.The complaint was unfounded.
- On 7-25-2019 a citizen complained that an officer had assaulted her when he arrested her.An investigation into the complaint was conducted.The complaint was unfounded.The entire contact was recorded by video cameras which showed that no assault occurred.The complainant was physically resistive with officers during the arrest procedure, but no force was used.
- On 8-3-2019 a citizen filed a complaint that they were choked by an officer during their arrest.The incident was investigated and the complaint was unfounded.The citizen was being lawfully arrested and actively resisted.He threatened and spat at officers while struggling against them.At no time during the arrest was he choked by the officers though. They used the least amount of force necessary to safely arrest the citizen.
- On 8-5-2019 officers on patrol encountered two men fighting in the roadway.During the contact with them, one citizen attempted to kick an officer and was arrested.This citizen had a small cut above his eye and claimed that the officer had done this to him.A complaint investigation was conducted.Later, while receiving medical care for his cut, he admitted the cut had occurred before his contact with the officers. The complaint was unfounded.
- On 8-19-2019 a citizen filed a complaint that his wrist was injured from being handcuffed too tightly and that his wrist hurt from a wrist lock that was applied.An investigation was conducted and the complaint was unfounded.The citizen resisted arrest and struggled against his handcuffs.His actions caused any pain to his wrists, not the correct application of the handcuffs.
- On 8-24-2019 a citizen filed a complaint that they were handcuffed too tightly.This was investigated and was unfounded.The citizen had been kicked out of a bar for assaulting staff.When officers contacted him he physically resisted their arrest and handcuffing procedures.Once at jail and filing the complaint he was uncooperative with the investigator.
- On 8-27-2019 a citizen complained that an officer made inappropriate comments to his wife.An investigation was conducted and the complaint was unfounded.The incident was recorded with audio/video and the statements of the complainant were found not to have been said.The officer was professional during the entire contact.
- On 9-18-2019 a citizen complained that her car had been illegally towed by officers.An investigation was conducted and the citizen’s car was broken down in the middle of the street.The officers were justified by policy and city ordinance in towing the car and, furthermore, the citizen advised them they could tow it.The complaint was unfounded.
- On 9-21-2019 a citizen complained that he was assaulted during his arrest.An investigation was conducted and the complaint of excessive force was unfounded.The officers did use force against the citizen but it was justified by the citizen’s actions and resistance and the lowest level possible to safely make the arrest.