Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill
Monday-Saturday: 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Planning Your Trip to the Landfill
- Tarp or tie-downs are required. Loads that are not properly secured will have a $25 fee. Hauling items unsecured is dangerous to both the hauler and those around them.
- The landfill will accept:
- Construction / demolition debris
- Mattresses/box springs (limit total of two pieces of any combination)
- Yard waste/trees/brush (no ash wood)
- Tires (no rims, limit four no larger than 20 inches)
- The landfill will NOT accept:
- Hazardous waste and electronics. These items can be dropped off at the City’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
- Ash Tree wood/logs/branches. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, ash wood cannot be moved/disposed of in the Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine area.
- Check the recycling guide. Some items may be acceptable to recycle instead. Visit the Disposal and Recycling Guide for common item instructions or check the searchable full list of items.
Disposal and Recycling Guide
Compost is available for free for households in the five county region: Lake, Lincoln, McCook, Minnehaha and Turner counties. To get your free compost, visit the Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill during business hours and notify the scale house attendant. They will direct you where you can load up your compost, just be sure to bring a container and a shovel.
The City of Sioux Falls encourages all residents to recycle to support sustainable waste management and extend the life of the Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill. Click the link below to learn more about recycling and what can and cannot be recycled in the single stream.
Medical Waste Disposal
Improperly disposed of needles, pharmaceuticals and thermometers can pose serious health hazards to the public, garbage haulers, recyclers, and City landfill and wastewater employees.
Use the links below to find out how to properly dispose of your items.
Year-Round Electronic Recycling Drop Off
Household electronics, especially those used for entertainment and communication antiquate quickly. The HHW Facility provides a way for residents in our five county service area to properly dispose of outdated and broken electronics, including batteries. Please make sure the materials you wish to drop-off are accepted at the HHW Facility. Please remember to bring your driver’s license or another form of identification.
Limit 5 CPUs, Monitors, and TVs per calendar year
Limit 2 Microwaves per calendar year.
Mattresses take up valuable space in the landfill and do not compact well. Mattresses are sent to a local recycler in Sioux Falls for recycling. They will be recycled and used in various new products.
To offset the recycling charge the Sioux Falls Regional Landfill now charges for each mattress and box spring brought to the landfill at $9.00 each.